Green County CLEAN SWEEP Program
UPDATE FOR 2022- The Green County CLEAN SWEEP Hazardous Materials Collection Program will be hosting a 2-Day Program!
Green County will be offering a 2-day Clean Sweep Hazardous Materials Collection Program for county farmers and residents on Friday, October 28th, from 7am-2:30pm and Saturday, October 29th, from 7-11:30am. The Clean Sweep collection site is located at the Green County Landfill, W2002 County SS, Brodhead, WI.
The Clean Sweep program is an opportunity to dispose of banned products or supplies damaged by moisture or contamination. This will be the 15th year that Green County has offered a Clean Sweep Collection Program. A total of over 135,000 pounds of hazardous material has been collected through the previous collections in Green County.
All Green County residents will be able to dispose of materials at the landfill for 2 days only. Pre-registration is recommended by going to https://go.wisc.edu/6l05zr to sign up for a timeslot. Residents may also call the Extension Green County office at 608-328-9440 for help in signing up.
Residents will be able to dispose of up to 100 pounds of hazardous materials free of charge. Farmers and homeowners wishing to dispose of more than these amounts need to call the Extension Green County office at 608-328-9440. All items should be properly identified and materials will only be accepted by authorized personnel.
Examples of hazardous items that will be accepted include:
- Oven cleaners, spot removers & drain cleaners,
- Herbicides like Atrazine, Round-up, Banvel, 2,4-D, Silverx, brush killers and many others
- Insecticides including Diazinon, Thimet, Furadan, Sevin and others
- Fungicides including Captan, Funginex and copper compound
- Lead, Marine & Auto Paint & Paint Strippers
- Animal Health Products
- Cadmium & Lithium Batteries
- Wood Finishes, Oil Based Paint & Stains, Solvents
- Other Miscellaneous such as Mercury, Degreasers, Roofing Tar, Hydraulic Fluid, Pool Chemicals, and Old Gasoline
Examples of hazardous items that will NOT be accepted include:
- Latex Paint
- Firearms & Ammunition
- Freon 11 and 12 radioactive material
- Compressed Gas Cylinders
- Yard Waste
- Fluorescent Tubes
- Recyclable Materials
- Biological Wastes
Only Green County residents can participate in the program. For more information on the 2022 collection program, go the the Extension Green County website at https://green.extension.wisc.edu or call the Extension Green County Office at 608-328-9440.
- Latex Paint can be safely disposed of in the regular garbage as long as it is hardened. If you have small amounts of left over latex or oil based paint, simply open the can and let it dry out in a well ventilated area. Once it is hardened, it can safely be put into the regular garbage. If you have large amounts of paint left over, you can purchase a hardener at paint stores to put in the paint that will harden the entire amount. Another option is to line a box with a plastic bag, add kitty litter or other absorbent material, and then pour the paint over the material. Let it dry and then place the bag into the regular garbage.
For more information, please contact Jackie McCarville, Extension Green County, at 608-328-9440 or at [email protected].